Functional testing is an important aspect of software quality assurance that verifies an application's functionalities and capabilities. Functional testing aims to identify and correct any issues before the application is deployed to production environments, thus reducing the cost of post-release corrective actions. The Functional Testing Market is expected to grow to multimillion US Dollars by 2028, with a significant CAGR during the forecast period 2022-2028.
Functional testing typically involves the following steps:
- Identifying the functions to be tested: This involves reviewing requirements, design documents, and user stories to determine which functions need to be tested.
- Creating test cases: The next step is to identify each function and create test cases to cover different input scenarios and test the correct behavior or output.
- Executing test cases: The test cases are then executed against the software to determine if the functions work as expected.
- Reporting and tracking defects: Any defects found during the testing process are tracked and reported.
- Retesting and regression testing: After the defects have been fixed, the test cases are re-executed to ensure that no new defects have been introduced.
- Finalizing testing: The testing process is considered complete once all the test cases have been executed and the software has passed all the tests.
Functional testing plays a crucial role in ensuring the quality and reliability of an application. It helps to identify and fix any defects early on in the development process, improving the overall performance and user experience of the application. With the growth of the software industry and the increasing demand for high-quality applications, the importance of functional testing cannot be overemphasized.
Quality Engineering is now being realized as a key driver in Business value generation and improving customer experience. As per Technavio’s Global Software Testing Services Market report, published in July 2018, the software testing industry will witness a significant growth during the period 2018-2022, with revenues reaching close to $68 billion by 2022. These numbers give a clear sense of the market potential and the rising importance of Quality Engineering within the IT Lifecycle.
Microservices have been gaining traction across industries and are poised to see a stronger adoption rate in the years to come. Across sectors, many companies are aiming to achieve better enterprise agility and bring in a system more efficient than the traditional monolithic architecture.
Regression Testing 101: Selective retesting to detect faults introduced during modification of a system or software component, to verify that modifications have not caused unintended adverse effects, or to verify that a modified system or software component still meets its specified requirements.
“...a testing process which is applied after a program is modified.”